Posted on

Gauge to Microns Conversion

The measurement of laminated plastics and coex films can be a little unusual for people who have not worked with these materials before. A few notes, gauge is usually reserved for thicknesses below 1 mil. Microns measurements are usually rounded to the nearest whole integer. Mil to Micron conversion is usually the most important conversion to make when working with flexible barrier plastics. Mils being a US unit of measure and Micron (um or Micrometer) being a metric system measurement of thickness. Blow film thicknesses are controlled by the size of the “bubble” that forms when extruding the plastic. Laminated plastics usually are at a minimum 2 mil (50.8um), but can range anywhere from 2 mil to 5.5mil for most commercial applications. Some Mil-Spec materials can be as much as 10mil or 20 mil in thickness. Gauge to micron conversion is important to ensure that your film thickness is correct.

When you need flexible barrier plastics, call PouchWorth 949-336-1541

Gauge to Microns Conversion Table

MilMicron (um)Millimeter (mm)Gauge (ga)Inch (“)
.5012.7.012750 .0005